For the Pie
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 3 oz butter
- 3 oz (or more if desired) freshly grated parmesan (we used truffle parmesan)
- salt & pepper
- milk, if needed
- few sprigs of parsley, finely chopped (or teaspoon of dried parsley)
- 4 oz of fresh mozzarella, sliced or cut in small cubes
- Can also add 4oz of cured meats if desired
- Boil peeled potatoes until they are fully tender (20-30 min). Mash the potatoes; add butter, grated cheese, seasonings, and eggs. Add meats if using.
- Mix everything well until butter is melted and ingredients are well incorporated. If mixture becomes too stiff add a bit of milk, a few drops at a time, until you have the texture you want.
- Spread out half the mashed potato mixture on the bottom of prepared pan; arrange the fresh mozzarella and meats, if desired.
- Spread out the other half of the potato mixture on top of the filling and even it out so that the surface is nice and flat. Top the whole thing with more breadcrumbs and few nobs of butter here and there.
- Bake in oven for about 30-45 minutes until pie is cooked through and golden brown.
- Let pie cool off for a good 20 minutes or so before serving. Unmold pie if used a springform pan. Serve.